We understand that tenants renting a property might be younger customers, on lower incomes and/or be living in smaller properties as they have fewer accumulated possessions.

An ideal policy for such situations, our tenants’ contents insurance is also a suitable policy for young professionals or students living in privately rented accommodation, however specialist students’ contents schemes are also available.

Some tenants find that standard contents insurance products may provide more cover than they require. In situations such as this, a tenant will benefit from the levels of cover this policy offers.

Tenants’ Contents insurance cover details

What’s covered
  • Tenants’ contents cover provides cover for the same types of incidents as standard Household insurance including escape of water, fire, flooding, storm, subsidence and theft.
  • If your customer lives in rented accommodation, the landlord’s insurance will cover the building and any furnishings they provide but it is the tenant’s responsibility to insure their own possessions.
  • Renters can pick their own sum insured for the total replacement cost of their contents, so they only pay for the cover they need.
  • Contents insurance provides cover on a new for old basis for household goods, including furniture, carpets, curtains and your personal belongings in the home, garages and sheds.
  • Alternative accommodation if you and your family have to move out of the home following a claim.
    Automatic increase in sums insured either side of weddings, birthday and religious festivals.
  • Loss or damage to food in freezers and/or refrigerators caused by failure of the electricity supply.
  • Contents temporarily removed from the home, for example children at university.
  • Tenants’ liability, for costs and expenses which you become legally liable to pay for damage to your rented property.
What’s not covered
  • Wear and tear or any gradual deterioration.
  • Any loss or damage to the property resulting in theft, attempted theft or malicious acts by you or any member of your family.
Optional cover
  • Optional additional covers include accidental damage and personal possessions away from the home such as electrical gadgets, jewellery and watches etc.
  • Limits can be tailored to suit your requirements.
Ways to trade
  • Schemes – Build your business by offering bespoke personal lines insurance which meets your customers’ exact needs.

Explore the Tenants’ Contents insurance market

Market information
  • Between 2013-2014 the number of landlords in the UK increased by 7% to reach 1.75 million (HMRC).1
  • Landlords banked a total of £14.2 billion during 2013-2014.2
  • In 2014, 2 million private landlords let 5 million properties in the UK.3

1, 2, 3: https://homelet.co.uk/letting-agents/news/article/how-many-landlords-and...