To understand and be responsible for the pricing, growth and ultimate profitability of new and renewing business. All tasks undertaken must be within underwriting authority limits.
Main activities and tasks
- Ensure schemes are rated according to criteria, which should produce a satisfactory underwriting profit.
- Through own analysis and working with the Actuarial and Delegated Authority teams, have an up to date and ongoing overview of the performance of all accounts within own area of responsibility, with a particular focus on Ultimate Loss ratios and Conduct Risk
- To specify and supervise production of necessary MI, reporting and information to enable the management of the Account, working in conjunction with the Relationship Managers.
- To develop and maintain good working relationships with external insurers and other external suppliers
- To innovatively review and analyse potential new business and existing schemes
- Assist with the management of the relationships with business producers within the above areas, utilising the auditing and claims resources available within the business.
- To ensure UK General and Agents comply with relevant Regulatory bodies, including meeting any training needs of the Sales Agents to ensure compliance, including responsibility for implementing FCA requirements and recommendations. Upkeep of the insurance training manuals relating to UK General products.
- To develop self to improve immediate performance and realise future potential.
- To report to management impact on profitability and performance of any ‘large losses’.
Required skills and experience
- Underwriting and/or pricing and actuarial experience of Insurance products
- At least 7 years experience as an Underwriter in a technical position
- People management skills with an ability to partner with a strong leadership team
- Analytical skills, commercial awareness
- Budget planning/financial management
- Good keyboard and PC skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience of managing client relationships
- Team Work
- Customer Focus
- Developing Self and Others
- Achievement Focus
Required education and qualifications
- Recognised Chartered Insurance Institute Qualification (Associate/Fellowship)